Many of us are still working from home due to the pandemic and even when things start getting back to normal, we’ll likely see some changes in the workplace.
Some of these changes might include working from home some of the time.
So how can you set up an efficient home office on a budget?
Location & Layout
First things first, choosing a location in your house. You’ll need enough space, plenty of sunlight, and preferably a spot away from high traffic. (If you have traffic.)
Here are a few good options:
- A spare bedroom
- A space off of the living room
- A room adjacent to a backyard entrance or patio
- A finished basement
- A second living room or den which you can add doors to
- A finished attic
Home Office Essentials
Now that you’ve selected a location and maybe cleared some space for your office, it’s time for furniture.
Here are a few musts:
- Desk – small enough for the room, but with a big enough workspace
- Desk chair – something you could sit in all day without any pain or nuisances
- Shelf/File Cabinet – How many books or papers will you have?
- Lighting – good to have if you end up working late or on a cloudy day
- Technology – Laptop/computer, printer, and maybe an office phone
Choose furniture that’s visually appealing to you and that compliments the rest of your home. If your office space is small, look for desks with drawers and other organization features so that you don’t need a separate file cabinet. Don’t forget about power outlets and cord organization when you’re laying out your office space.
A Few More Tips
- Brighten up your space with natural and artificial lighting
- Keep things organized with containers, drawer dividers, and folders
- Personalize your office to inspire and comfort you
- Plan for visitors with extra seating and workspace if your job requires it
As proud members of the esteemed, small-knit Eden Prairie small business community, we are active participants in everything our area has to offer. Since 1995, we’ve been committed to earning the trust of our community. With over 4,500 homes sold in our region, we have the knowledge and experience you need when you are looking to list or buy a home in Eden Prairie. Give us a call today and experience for yourself how we became the #1 sales team in Eden Prairie.